Take-home teeth whitening
What is take-home teeth whitening?
Take-home teeth whitening is a non-invasive dental treatment that lifts stains from the pores of teeth and lightens the colour of natural tooth enamel, leading to the appearance of whiter, brighter teeth.
It involves the creation of a customised mouth tray to which whitening product is added. The mouth tray is taken home with the product and worn on the teeth at specific intervals over a period of up to fourteen days.
When is take-home teeth whitening used?
This is a cost-effective solution for people wanting whiter, brighter teeth. It can assist people with wear to the outer tooth layer (enamel) or extrinsic stains on the teeth of a yellow, brown appearance, typically caused by smoking or the consumption of coffee, tea, wine, cola and some foods.
What are the benefits of take-home teeth whitening?
There are several advantages:
- Custom-fitted mouth trays, made from impressions taken by the dentist, ensure maximum contact between the whitening product, which is applied to the mouth tray, and the teeth.
- Custom-fitted mouth trays minimise contact of the gel with the gum tissue.
- The whitening product is milder than products used in dental surgeries, leading to less tooth sensitivity and control over the shade of white that is achieved.
- Take-home teeth whitening is more affordable than in-chair teeth whitening performed within dental surgeries.
In-chair teeth whitening
What is in-chair teeth whitening?
In-chair whitening is a non-invasive dental treatment that lifts stains from the pores of teeth and lightens the colour of natural tooth enamel, leading to the appearance of whiter, brighter teeth.
It is the quickest dental solution for whitening teeth and removing or reducing stains and discolouration. It typically involves the application of product directly onto the teeth and the use of heat, a special light or laser to activate and/or accelerate the whitening agent.
With in-chair whitening, results are typically achieved within one 30-60 minute dental appointment.
When is in-chair teeth whitening used?
In-chair teeth whitening is an ideal solution for people wanting instant results. It is an appropriate treatment for people with wear to the outer tooth layer (enamel) or extrinsic stains on the teeth of a yellow, brown appearance, typically caused by smoking or the consumption of coffee, tea, wine, cola and some foods.
What are the benefits of in-chair teeth whitening?
There are several advantages:
- Dentists typically use whitening products that contain stronger concentrations of hydrogen peroxide compared with off-the-shelf or take-home products and this ensures results within one 30-60 minute dental treatment.
- Dentists apply the whitening agent directly to the teeth, therefore the use of mouth trays, such as those provided in take-home and off-the-shelf whitening kits, is unnecessary.
- Dentists supervise the treatment and can control the amount of whitening that occurs.
- Dentists typically use a rubber shield to protect the gums from the whitening product.
- Dentists can better match the types of stains with the best treatments, leading to better results.
Teeth whitening considerations
Positive results rely on compliance with the at-home portion of the treatment protocol.
- Teeth whitening is not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- It is not permanent and the degree of whiteness will vary from individual to individual depending on the condition of the teeth and the type of whitening system used.
- It will only work on natural teeth and extrinsic stains.
The initial appointment with our dentist will confirm your suitability.